Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Internet Hate

What, may I ask is the point of internet hate?

So people go onto other people's blogs and post comments that are spiteful, hateful, hurtful and every other kind of -ful you can think of in a negative way.

Then there are people who get online and post stuff on their own blogs that are likewise very un-positive.

What might I ask is the point of that? Is it to stir up trouble? Is it to create controversy and thereby create readers? (I know that for me and a certain other blog I maintain that is exactly the reason, and it works by the way). But if you aren't out to get money, then what are you trying to do?

The person you are typing at can't see you, hear you, smell you and has no idea that you are anyting other than a 3rd grader who got on the computer when mommy wasn't looking. I guess I just don't understand the point of actually being angry at someone you don't know about something that could very well be a fiction.

Your thoughts?

8 comments:

The Hawg! said...

Most of the hateful comments I've seen are the direct result of hateful posts. For example, if someone posts something claiming all Democrats -- are Republicans -- are thieving wastes of humanity, they can expect some pointed comments in return.

That's just kind of the way it goes.

Mystery Man said...

I think that goes into the same category as the people that sit around creating viruses. Their lives are so empty that they have to make everyone else's miserbaleand think that by attacking them with wrods on a computer screen will do so. I for one, refuse to stoop to their level and delete hateful comments.

Cute Irish Girl said...

Wish I knew the answer to that myself. It's not so bad on blogs, but on message boards like MSN and AOL the amount of venom, meanness and vitriol is unbelievable.

Unknown said...

I just wanted to say thank you... it is easy to mock and ridicule the world around us.. It is easy to make fun of others so we may feel superior a false reading though it may be. It is so much better to find that part of ourselves that brings us joy and share it with others. That way we are happy and we bring that joy to others. Guess what then you get the kudos you were demanding and you have stopped looking for...

Ian said...

Anonymity helps a lot - but its strange how many people want to be the schoolyard bully when they can hide behind a screen name and not have to face the real people they are rubbishing.

Paul Baines said...

I'd say it's down to the fact that the distance afforded by being on-line gives most people a confidence boost that they might not experience in real life. This works both ways, some use this added confidence to be constructive and creative in their lives and others do what they always did and pour negativity out where ever they go, it's simply a sad fact of human nature. Just spam their comment and they've never return.

Penny said...

I really don't understand internet hate. It is almost like people are going out of their way to make someone miserable. I think the internet is a better place for the positive people who write about being good people! Everyone's entitled to their views, but it doesn't mean we need to attack one another.

sundcarrie said...

I am blessed so far I have not gotten comments that are hateful. I do post my feelings on books that I don't like but I try not to be rude.

I have seen what you mean I used to ask and answer a lot of questions on Yahoo Answers and there are tons of hateful people.